About the Center
The Center for NYC Neighborhoods (the “Center”) promotes and protects affordable homeownership in New York so that distressed homeowners and working-class families are able to build strong, thriving communities. Established by public and private partners, the Center meets the diverse needs of homeowners throughout New York State by offering free, high-quality housing services. The Center’s current projects support our policy goals and help to keep homeownership affordable by responding to the ongoing effects of the foreclosure crisis, the rising cost of homeownership, predatory scams, rising sea levels, and more extreme weather. The Center’s subsidiary and CDFI, Sustainable Neighborhoods LLC, provides loans to qualified low-to-moderate income homeowners and homebuyers focusing on Black and brown borrowers in New York whose credit needs are unmet by traditional lending approaches.
The Program Associate, Servicing reporting to the Chief Lending and/or the Director of Lending manages the Post Closing and Servicing of residential mortgage loans with their specific program and documentation needs that help distressed homeowners sustain homeownership. Works with various Center and Sustainable Neighborhoods LLC Lending teams such as Closing and Quality Control of the lending department, other departments in the Center and outside counterparties; to implement and support the development of compliant Servicing policies and procedures. The position will also support the preparation of closed loans to meet investor and regulatory compliance. This position requires inputting required data into our Servicing systems and Sub-Servicing vendors. The Associate will also reach out and work directly with borrowers/homeowners in mission efforts to support sustainable homeownership. The CLO and/or the Director of Lending will rely on the Program Associate, Servicing to foresee servicing issues by monitoring loan activity and payment delinquencies and/or trends in servicing software and/or LOS systems.
Core Responsibilities include:
- Works with Director of Lending and senior project managers as well as department heads (Leadership) to solicit specific program needs, determine servicing requirements, and translate and implement servicing policies and procedures, ensuring optimal servicing needs for all programs;
- Ongoing management of closed loan data to support the production of accurate reports;
- Verify loan information by comparing data, identifying discrepancies, and notifying supervisor;
- Completes mortgage loan payments by verifying distribution of principal and interest and inputting verified amounts;
- Completes loan adjustments, resolves both escrow and interest discrepancies, and escalates questions to supervisor when appropriate;
- Supports closed loan transactions by verifying information, researching, and rectifying discrepancies prior to submitting to QC;
- Gathers necessary information from borrowers seeking loan payoffs, subordinations and loan forgiveness according to program or product requirements;
- Communicates with borrowers to include: collections, hello and goodbye letters;
- Supports Director of Lending or other senior Lending team manager to sell loans in the secondary market;
- Works compliantly with homeowners and/or sub-servicers to resolve loan payment delinquencies and collects money due applying a ‘homeowner first’ approach to sustainable homeownership under the supervision of the Director of Lending or other senior manager report
- Works with Finance to accurately pay taxes or insurance as necessary;
- Monitors loans prior to transfer to subservicer and closes loans in Loan Origination System (Byte Pro ( when the loan has been sold or transferred;
- Act as a liaison between SN LLC servicing department and our subservicer vendor, presently DMI Mortgage LLC.
- Provides payment histories to investors or management when requested;
- Monitor and track notices for lapse in insurance and any default or foreclosure activity;
- Demonstrate Ownership by showing initiative, acting conscientiously, and putting team results above individual accomplishments
- Demonstrate Growth Mindset through resilience, engaging in expansive thinking, and showing curiosity
- Works collaboratively by demonstrating the ability to work in teams, exhibiting emotional intelligence, and having positive energy
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree minimum, Master’s degree or equivalent direct mortgage work experience a plus;
- Minimum two (2) years verifiable experience in the business of making residential mortgage loans or similar lending and credit evaluation experience, or equivalent educational or work experience;
- Broad knowledge of mortgage principles and applicable regulatory controls;
- Ability to speak a language other than English preferred;
- Minimum one year’s experience working for a Mortgage Servicing company and/or experience working with a Loan Origination System;
- Strong attention to detail and organization, and ability to develop an in-depth understanding of the products/programs of our clients;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, be flexible, and learn additional software applications as needed to support business goals
- Knowledge and experience working with nonprofit agencies.
- Ability to track and prioritize a diverse number of issues over a broad workload and with an ability to work with multiple lending team groups;
- An energetic and flexible team player; and
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite required, experience with BytePro or other Mortgage Loan Origination and Servicing Software platforms and Salesforce.com or other CRM platforms a plus..
Essential Mental and Physical Functions:
- Regularly required to speak English clearly and hear the spoken word well;
- Regularly required to physically operate routine office equipment such as telephones, computers, etc.
- Regularly required to utilize near vision ability to read data and documents, including spreadsheets and reports, in printed form and on computer screens.
- Ability to productively work virtually until such time as it may be safe to return to an office environment.
- Noise level in our existing office, once a return is possible, is consistent with levels usually present in an office environment.
- Hazards present are consistent with those common to an office environment.
The Center for NYC Neighborhoods is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, upgrade, train, and promote for all positions and job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital, veteran or disabled veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other status as a member of any other legally protected group or activity.