About the Center
The Center for NYC Neighborhoods (the “Center”) is a New York not-for-profit that promotes and protects affordable homeownership in New York so that middle- and working-class families are able to build strong, thriving communities. Working with public and private partners, the Center and its affiliates meet and support the diverse needs of homeowners throughout New York State by offering free, high-quality direct services, support of community based housing counselors, policy research and advocacy, and affordable lending products.
Are you an attorney with legal practice experience who is looking to practice law as an in-house generalist at a mission-driven not-for-profit organization that pursues social and economic justice, racial equity, and climate resiliency through affordable homeownership initiatives? If so, we encourage you to apply for the Staff Attorney opening at the Center.
As part of the Center’s legal team, the Staff Attorney will work closely with the General Counsel & Vice President and the Senior Counsel, and will report to the General Counsel & Vice President. This is a public interest legal position within a mission-driven non-profit that offers the opportunity to work on a wide variety of legal matters and topics, spanning the programmatic, transactional, regulatory, compliance, organizational and management legal needs of the Center and its affiliates. This is a full time, overtime exempt position.
The ideal candidate will have excellent legal reasoning, writing, and counseling skills, practice experience (2+ years), enthusiasm for meeting the multi-faceted legal needs of a non-profit organization, and a desire to learn from our experienced in-house counsels.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Working with the General Counsel & Vice President and the Senior Counsel, provide legal support that aids the Center’s Board of Directors, management, employees and programs in complying with applicable laws, rules and regulations of regulatory agencies, contractual obligations and the Center’s policies and procedures.
- Contracts and Procurement: draft, review, and provide legal advice in connection with contracts and other legal documents; assist staff in procuring vendors and negotiating agreements for goods and services in compliance with the Center’s policies; implement and oversee an organization-wide contracts management system as part of a Center working group.
- Programmatic support: provide legal advice and support to the Center’s program policies and procedures, forms, internal compliance tools; work collaboratively to improve the operation of programs through a legal perspective.
- Lending support: provide legal advice and support for the activities of Sustainable Neighborhoods LLC, the Center’s wholly-owned subsidiary, a NYS Department of Financial Services exempt non-profit mortgage banker, and a Treasury-certified Community Development Financial Institution.
- Governance support: assist management in preparation for meetings of the Board of Directors and committees of the board, maintaining corporate records and organizational good standing, and interpreting and applying the Center’s bylaws, policies, and New York State not-for-profit corporation law.
- Identify areas of compliance risk and work collaboratively to protect Center interests through process improvements.
- Conduct legal research and prepare internal memoranda on legal topics.
- Conduct trainings for staff on legal topics.
- Consult with General Counsel & Vice President and Senior Counsel as needed to resolve difficult legal and programmatic issues.
- Interact with and assist in the management of outside counsel.
- Document, maintain and update key processes, procedures, checklists and forms.
- Other duties reasonably related to the position may be required.
Skills & Qualifications
- JD required; admitted to practice law in New York or ability to become admitted reasonably soon after start
- At least two years experience practicing law in at a law firm, public interest, in-house, or public sector environment (candidates with greater experience are encouraged to apply)
- Legal knowledge and experience in the following areas is a plus: real estate, residential mortgage lending & servicing, consumer protection, labor and employment, non-profit governance and compliance, civil rights, fair housing
- Demonstrated competencies in legal research, legal writing, business writing, project planning and implementation, problem solving, judgment and decision-making
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good presentation skills, including the ability to deal effectively with diverse and interdisciplinary staff
- Proven track record of successfully managing multiple projects, meeting deadlines and solving problems in a collaborative manner
- Complete confidentiality and discretion
- Commitment to the Center’s mission and providing outstanding staff support
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter with salary requirements and resume through our website at https://cnycn.bamboohr.com/jobs/. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicant review will continue until the position is filled.